Forms of hosting solutions
A hosting service means saving and/or sharing certain content on a web server run by a web hosting distributor. There are different classes of hosting services utilized for various aims, so let's take a look at them. In this way, you can elect what you need, on the basis of whether you'd like to establish a site, emails, or to share files with friends and partners.
- File hosting: a solution distributed by certain file storage providers, which permits you to share huge files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived documents, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its sole function is to share files, since it does not offer website uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either get an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to read a record of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to view .html or .php web page files in your browser. Free-of-cost file storage plans are frequently supported by displaying ads next to the download links, while a timer makes you wait for a particular span of time to perceive them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you run a paid file storage plan, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no limitation in regard to the download speed or the file size.
Nowadays, with the help of the cPanel hosting wholesalers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more faddish "cloud hosting". This is a completely wrong interpretation of the literal denotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting system would share the workload between separate groups of hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to attending various web site hosting services (electronic mail, storage space, statistics, DNS, databases, web hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is just a brand of a storage space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; given suppliers provide a hosting service for pictures only. This hosting variant is good if you want to share an enormous number of pics with comrades or associates since the service is typically free of charge. You will obtain a randomly generated link for each pic or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be used for web pages.
- E-mail hosting: a service committed to tackling your e-mail box accounts. Some vendors offer web page hosting solutions for websites, but do not provide an e-mail hosting solution. If you desire to set up an email address with your domain name but do not wish to own a website, then the email hosting solution is what you require. You can create e-mail accounts and manage them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The e-mail hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service enables you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to some video, or you can embed the video clip in your website that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of availing of this method in lieu of uploading the video clip in a hosting account is that the video file creates a particular amount of CPU load, so with a couple of video files and a few hundred viewers, you may have difficulty with your web hosting quotas. Embedding the video file will allow you to own as many videos as you want without worrying about system resources.
- Web hosting: this is the solution that you require if you want to have a site. To a certain extent, it comprises all of the aforementioned hosting types since, along with your web pages, you can also host images and files, you can keep databases and email addresses, upload video clips, and so on. At GreenHosting, for example, you can explore web hosting and dedicated server hosting accounts that allow you to have all of the aforesaid services in one single location. There may be limits based on the form of hosting solution that you've opted for - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your hosting package may be better or worse in comparison with the customary email/file/video/image hosting packages that are purposed for particular web content only.